As an ICU nurse, I have the unique opportunity to be one of the first people getting the vaccine for Covid-19. I am extremely excited for this opportunity and here is why I am getting it.
1. I believe in the science and I believe it is safe. More on that later. I’ll do a follow up post about it next week.
2. I will feel safer taking care of Covid positive patients. It has been anxiety producing for all of us. Terrifying meets unifying.
3. I have asthma so I’d rather not risk my chances with Covid and wind up on a ventilator.
4. I want to see my family – my parents, my sister and my brother up close and personal. I want to hug and kiss them. (I won’t be doing this until they are also vaccinated). My parents will hopefully be able to be vaccinated in early 2021.
5. I want us to reach herd immunity as a nation! #herdimmunity
6. I absolutely want to travel and fly again.
7. I’d love to go to an indoor fancy dinner sometime in the future.
8. I want to go out with my friends.
9. I want to have parties again, go out dancing, hug and kiss my friends.
10. I want to go out into a bustling, crowded market.
11. I feel it’s incredibly important for us in healthcare to show that we are supportive.
12. But mostly, I want this pandemic to be over. I want people, my patients, your friends and family to stop dying of Covid-19.
For transparency, I got vaccinated at UW Medicine on 12/18 at 10:45 am and so far I’m felling good. I experienced a little site soreness for two days after the injection and had a headache on the day of vaccination. I am getting my second dose on 1/6/2021! I couldn’t be more elated.
If you want to here more about my vaccine experience and what it means to me, check out this episode of Seattle Now, – https://www.kuow.org/stories/seattle-now-i-got-vaccinated.
Have you gotten vaccinated yet?
Stay Safe and Stay Sane,